Progress House was founded in 1961 by a group of men and women who had recovered from the disease of alcoholism, and who recognized a need for a recovery setting in Indianapolis. It all started in a small house in the 2000 block of North New Jersey Street, with barely enough room for 10 men. Progress House later moved to 1703 Talbot Street, and then again in 1969 to 14 North Highland, where it would remain for the next 32 years.
In November 2001, Progress House moved to its present location at 201 Shelby Street, just one mile from downtown Indianapolis, and can now serve up to 75 men who typically stay from 90 to 120 days. Progress House provides a sober, secure, comfortable living environment where men can focus on their recovery from addiction.