The Story of Progress House

Progress House was founded in 1961 by a group of men and women who had recovered from the disease of alcoholism, and who recognized a need for a recovery setting in Indianapolis.

It all started in a small house in the 2000 block of North New Jersey Street, with barely enough room for 10 men. Progress House later moved to 1703 Talbot Street, and then again in 1969 to 14 North Highland, where it would remain for the next 32 years. 


In November 2001, Progress House moved to its present location at 201 Shelby Street, just one mile from downtown Indianapolis, and can now serve up to 100 men who typically stay from 90 days to one year. ‍ On January 1, 2014, we opened the doors of Next Step, independent apartment sober living, which is home to 48 men, all of whom have successfully completed the Progress House program. 


On November 1, 2019 Progress House became a subsidiary of Aspire Indiana Health, an independent nonprofit healthcare provider with more than a half-century of service to some of the most vulnerable Hoosiers. Progress House offers fully integrated “whole health recovery” services including primary medical care, behavioral health care, group and individual counseling, 12-Step programming, case management, skills training, medication assisted treatment (MAT), peer support services, recovery coaching, and employment services.